Landed estate of the family Sévigné since 1410, Marie de Rabutin Chantal as Marquise de Sévigné discovered the castle just after her wedding in 1644. Until 1690 it has been visited by Madame de Sévigné on her 16 travels. She became a famous letter writer through her 297 letters (262 to her daughter). She appreciated the natural landscape around the castle and changed the wood on a real park and named its paths. During her last travel, she discovered the French garden ordered by her son Carles and drawn on a André Le Nôtre outline.
Entrance of the public at the Orangerie. Visit of the garden, medieval tower and the chapel with a guide.
Place du Château, BP 70 627, 35506 VITRE CEDEX
Tel: 02 99 75 04 54 / Fax: 02 99 74 08 26
www.mairie-vitre.com – firstname.lastname@example.org